Office of the Registrar
Campus Address
Hanover, NH
Phone: (603) 646-xxxx
Fax: (603) 646-xxxx
Email: reg@Dartmouth.EDU

Organization, Regulations, and Courses 2017-18

Graduate Degrees in Arts and Sciences

Programs leading to advanced degrees are offered in all departments in the Division of the Sciences, as well as in the Departments of Music, Psychological and Brain Sciences, and the Programs in Comparative Literature and Liberal Studies. The requirements for the degrees awarded by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences and the types of fellowship support available to graduate students in these programs are described in the following paragraphs. Inquiries regarding graduate study should be addressed to the department to which admission is sought or to the Dean of Graduate Studies.

Graduate Special Students: Under special circumstances holders of the Bachelor’s degree may be admitted to College courses and register as Graduate Special Students. Permission to register must be secured from the Dean of Graduate Studies. Students in this category are not candidates for any Dartmouth degree.

Grades: Course work and grades are only one component of graduate education, and the grading system is designed to reflect this fact. The following grades will be used in courses acceptable for credit toward a graduate degree:

HP: High Pass, indicating work of quality which is distinctly superior to that normally expected of a graduate student.

P: Pass, indicating work of good quality, worthy of graduate credit. This would be the most common grade denoting satisfactory graduate performance.

LP: Low Pass, indicating work which is acceptable for graduate credit, but in which the student exhibited one or more serious deficiencies. Graduate programs may, for example, limit the number of LP grades acceptable for a degree.

CT: Credit, indicating satisfactory work in certain courses, such as research courses, in which assignment of a grade of HP, P, or LP is considered inappropriate. The grade CT is not intended as a routine alternative to the HP, P, and LP system, and CT is the only passing grade in a course in which it is used. Approval of the use of CT in any course must be obtained from the Council on Graduate Studies by the graduate department offering the course.

NC: No Credit, indicating work which is not acceptable for graduate credit.

When it is not possible to assign a grade in a course at the end of the term, the instructor may request permission to record the temporary status of Incomplete. Use of Incomplete will require approval of the Dean of Graduate Studies and the request must include an agreed upon completion date. All Incompletes for any term must be removed by the end of the following term and may be extended only upon approval of the Dean of Graduate Studies. Incomplete grades which have not been resolved by submission of a permanent grade will revert to No Credit after the stated deadline.

The designation ON (On-going) may be used when the work of a course extends beyond the limit of a single term, such as in Research Rotation. All ON grades must be resolved before the degree is awarded.

Graduate students enrolled in courses for which they are not receiving graduate credit will be graded with the undergraduate grading system.

Transfer of Credit: Upon recommendation of the department accepting the student for graduate work, credit for graduate courses (not research) taken at other institutions may be granted by the Dean of Graduate Studies. Not more than three of the course requirements for the Master’s degree nor more than six for the Ph.D. degree may be fulfilled in this way.

Course Changes: Courses may be added, dropped, or exchanged with no charge at any time during the first two weeks of the term. The dropping of courses after the first two weeks of a term requires permission of the adviser and the Dean of Graduate Studies. Appropriate forms for adding or dropping a course are available from the Office of Graduate Studies and from departmental and program offices.

It is expected that the requirements for the Ph.D. degree will be completed no later than seven years after initial enrollment, unless the student enters with a Master’s Degree in his or her field of proposed study, in which case the student is expected to complete the doctorate in five years. Failure to complete the work in the time periods specified or failure to meet the academic standards of the student’s graduate program shall necessitate revaluation of the student’s progress and may result in a notice of termination.