Office of the Registrar
Campus Address
Hanover, NH
Phone: (603) 646-xxxx
Fax: (603) 646-xxxx
Email: reg@Dartmouth.EDU

Organization, Regulations, and Courses 2018-19

Enrollment Patterns (D-Plans)

Shortly after the start of the spring term every first-year student must file submit their enrollment preferences (D-plan) for the remaining (normally) nine terms that permits, within a period of four academic years (or fifteen terms after matriculation), the satisfaction of the degree requirement of thirty-five courses passed. Routine changes in enrollment pattern may be made online using DartHub and more complex changes by contacting the Office of the Registrar.

The deadline for making a change in enrollment pattern (D-Plan) for any immediately following term from R (for Residence) to another status is five weeks after the start of classes of the previous term, excepting that the deadline for making such a change for fall term is five weeks after the start of classes of the spring term. Students are encouraged to pay close attention to the dates in the academic and term calendar.

A student wishing to take more than a year without being enrolled (more than four consecutive terms with enrollment patterns of only L or A) must withdraw from the College after the fourth such term. International students should consult with the Office of Visa and Immigration Services about implications for their visa status in SEVIS before initiating more than one leave term within the United States or before initiating a withdrawal.

A student desiring to file an enrollment pattern (D-plan) distributing the thirty-five courses over a period of five academic years (sixteen to nineteen elapsed terms), or to change a previously approved pattern to a new one of this type, must petition the Registrar; five-year patterns will not normally be approved until a student has progressed at least well into the sophomore year and has declared a major. The Registrar will normally approve any appropriate pattern, provided that the student can make satisfactory progress toward the degree. The student’s department or program chair must certify that the proposed pattern will not jeopardize satisfactory completion of the major. Should a student wish to appeal a negative judgment of the Registrar, he or she may petition the standing subcommittee of the Committee on Standards.

Every student is required to be in residence, registered and enrolled in classes in the fall, winter, and spring terms of the senior year (the fourth year after matriculation or the last year if a student is a later graduate). If a student is able to satisfy all other requirements in fewer than eleven terms (of residence [R], Dartmouth off-campus study [O], and official Dartmouth exchange programs [X], the student is not subject to the senior residence requirement. He or she may graduate on completion of all other requirements during the junior year or may attend, if preferred, in chosen terms of the senior year.

Students not able or intending to graduate in fewer than eleven terms must recognize that the ability to complete all other requirements by the end of eleven or twelve terms does not free them from any part of the fall/winter/spring senior residence requirement. Accordingly in planning and modifying their enrollment patterns students should be careful to be on leave sufficient terms in the sophomore and junior years to avoid having an overall twelve-term pattern when eleven terms would have sufficed, or a thirteen-term pattern when only twelve terms were required. Students who have or will have met all graduation requirements after twelve terms are not approved for additional terms. Transfer students will have fewer terms to complete their requirements which depends on the initial number of credits which transfer to Dartmouth.

Certain Dartmouth-sponsored off-campus summer programs may be used in satisfaction of the summer residence requirement. In addition, under special circumstances the Registrar may waive the requirement of a summer residence term, but no more than forty such waivers (including exemptions for three-term athletes) will be allowed for any college class. In appropriate cases the Registrar may allow the substitution of the earlier or later summer term if there is great academic or personal justification.

The vote of the faculty dealing with summer residence and also with senior year residence is:

‘All students are required to be in residence during the summer term that follows the sophomore year because the Dartmouth curriculum is being so designed as to take advantage of the presence of an entire class during that time, by, for example, offering special courses introductory to the major. Substitution of any other summer term for the summer term following the sophomore year may be permitted for a particular student only when it can be demonstrated that such a change will significantly enrich that student’s academic program.

‘Complete waiver of the summer residence requirement, as distinct from a shift in summer, will be granted only in truly exceptional circumstances, such as significant enrichment of the student’s academic program, cases of demonstrable serious financial hardship, a serious personal or health problem, or participation in varsity athletics in the fall, winter, and spring terms of every year.

‘All students, except those requiring fewer than eleven terms to complete the degree, are required to be in residence during the fall, winter, and spring terms of the senior year. Exemptions from this senior year residence requirement will be made only when it can be demonstrated that such a change will significantly enrich the student’s academic program, as, for example, through participation for a term in a Dartmouth-sponsored Off-Campus Program, or to avoid a serious personal or health problem.

‘All requests for a shift in the summer residence term, for a complete waiver of the summer residence requirement, or for a partial exemption from the senior year residence requirement must be made by written petition to the Registrar; senior waiver petitions must be accompanied by a copy of the student's approved major plan. Participation in a Dartmouth-sponsored Off-Campus Program during the senior year will automatically qualify the student for a compensatory adjustment to the senior year residence requirement if the Off-Campus Program is in the student’s major department or program. In all other cases petition must be made as described above. The Registrar’s decision may be appealed to a subcommittee of the Committee on Standards, as described in the Organization of the Faculty of Dartmouth College.’